Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Bowling, Baloney Popping, and Whales Exploding

A piece of baloney (bologna) I was frying exploded on me! I got slight burns from the oil splatter and pieces of it flew all over me and the kitchen. I found, and continue to find, pieces in every crevice there is (or so it seems). There was a very audible "popping" sound and I know it was loud because my girlfriend in the other room came running out to see what had happened. We immediately started laughing and I continued to laugh through the tedious clean up period. I still chuckle each time the incident comes into mind.

There are good baloney explosions and there are bad baloney explosions, it's a matter of how you treat them.

The other night, we happened to catch a documentary about an exploding whale in Japan. It sparked one of those moments where she looked at me, I looked at her, and we just started laughing uncontrollably for what seemed like 5 minutes or more. It was painful to the stomach. I can imagine that we may have similar bouts of laughter in the future.

I can also imagine the residents of that city in Japan finding pieces of whale for years to come. I expect they'll continue to laugh about their incident as I do mine.

In the sport of bowling, there are many variables that affect our score. These include such things as, but are not limited to, the weather, type of ball, weight of the ball, and oil patterns. Do I have to mention our individual attitudes, health, and frame of mind? Our performance depends on many factors being "just right," and us realists know that there will be bad scores as well as terrific scores. That's just life.

Over the past couple of weeks, my "bowling baloney" have exploded several times, both good and bad (and these are separate and distinct explosions) - a 134 game, a 511 series, a gutter ball, three 4-6-7-10 splits in one game, and a 718 series. Who can figure? You just have to make the best of it.

One of my teammates, "Dippy" (a 200+ average), shoots a 92 game on Thursday league, then shoots a 300 game on Friday night; rolls a 740 series on Thursday night and comes back on Friday night just barely breaking a 500 series.

Baloney explodes everywhere and at anytime! As "Dippy" is always fond of saying, "What do we know?"

No comments:

Post a Comment